The NexGen Leadership Award will be bestowed on the candidate
whose emerging leadership within his or her company sets a standard for the
rest of the industry.
The SMU NexGen Leadership Award- sponsored by SMA, will recognize and celebrate the excellence of emerging leaders within the greater steel community.
The award includes:
- A mentorship day with Mark Millett, President and Chief Executive Officer, Steel Dynamics
- Invitation to attend one of the SMU Steel 101 or
SMU Steel 201 workshops in late 2019 or during calendar year 2020 (no
- An invitation to the 2020 SMU Steel Summit
Conference with registration fees waived
- Recognition in the Steel Market Update
newsletter and SMU/CRU websites
Candidates for the SMU NexGen Leadership Award will be no more than 35 years of age as of August 1, 2019.
The candidates must work within the greater steel community. This includes manufacturing or fabrication companies that utilize mild carbon or automotive grade steels in their products, steel distributors (service centers or wholesalers), steel mills, trading companies or toll processors.
There is no minimum time within the industry requirement, however the nominee should still be employed by the company recognizing the nominee’s talents.
How to nominate someone:
Self-nomination and/or nomination by a colleague or peer
Nominations must be received by no later than August 1, 2019
We can only accept nominations from North America. The nomination document should clearly define what distinguishes the nominee as a NexGen leader. Please find some examples of of the qualities we are looking for in our NexGen leaders below.
- Identified ways to improve processes or service delivery
- Implemented change in a positive manner
- Inspired and encouraged professional and personal development in others
- Contributed to the success of an initiative that benefited those outside his/her own department
- Assisted in attracting young people into the industry
- Recognized by peers as a positive force within the company
- Outstanding contribution to completion of a successful project and/or a change management program
You will be asked to upload a document (word or pdf) supporting your nomination. Please ensure this document is ready for upload before you proceed.
| Award Sponsored by:
For more information about the award, perks for the nominees, judging and winner announcement please click here